Sophie was described by the The Manageress to be a big lady who is quite the charmer and very sweet. Sophie's personality differs between her four memories but she is generally shown to be a depressed, hopeless romantic who was self-conscious of her weight to the point of self-harm and feeling deserving of physical abuse.
The youngest incarnation of Sophie describes herself as sane and the other three as raving lunatics. It is possible Sophie was a personification of Joe's schizophrenia, including how Ivy Davis' eating disorder affected Joe and their marriage.
Four memories of Sophie are present throughout the hotel, each incarnation becoming sicker than the last. All incarnations of Sophie are seen wearing masks. Joe's goal throughout Downfall 2016 is to defeat these memories, thus saving his wife.
- Voiced by: Emily Hanley
Young Sophie is found in Room 102 of the first floor, sitting on a chair and wearing a dress and, of course, a mask, while rocking back and forth in the fetal position. The room she is encountered in is a familiar looking room completely covered in mirrors.
She is the first memory to be discovered and explains to Joe what needs to be done in order to save his wife from Sophie's later memories, insisting that she should be killed first, preferably in a painless manner.
Young Sophie dies by lethal injection, either by herself or by Joe Davis. Regardless of the poison Joe has selected or whether he accepts to inject Young Sophie or not, she dies a painful death, leaving behind her dress.
- Voiced by: Remigiusz Michalski
Fat Sophie is the second incarnation of Sophie found in the bathroom on the third floor with her stomach cut open, surrounded by versions of herself killed in various other ways. If approached, she will tell Joe that he will never find Ivy as she is hers now. If Joe attempts to strangle her, she will mock Joe by repeating what Ivy said about getting a cat earlier in their life.
Fat Sophie is killed by a chain reaction of turning on the gas supply in the basement, turning on the stove in the bathroom, causing it to release gas, and offering Harrison a cigarette. Agnes suggests smoking in the bathroom to prevent sprinklers from going off, causing an explosion that kills both Harrison and Sophie.
Despite appearing to be an older version of Sophie than Adult Sophie, Fat Sophie's death takes precedence.
- Voiced by: Anairis Quinones
Adult Sophie is the third memory of Sophie found in Function Room A on the third floor, crying at one of the tables at the end of the room. She had just turned 18 years old, the function room serving as a banquet hall for her birthday party, but is nonetheless in despair over being rejected by Harrison. This memory of Sophie seems obsessively in love with Harrison despite how he treats her; she is firm on the idea that she is truly in love and refuses to believe otherwise.
After the player kills Harrison, Sophie and the remains of Harrison's corpse will have disappeared from the third floor. She is later found in Harrison's room on the second floor with his corpse, stating that she has come to an agreement with him that will make him never want to leave her again. Ultimately, Adult Sophie reveals that she is as insane as the youngest memory of Sophie suggested.
Adult Sophie is killed by drinking a toxic smoothie consisting of a human head, castor oil, gin, human fat, and cannabis. This results in Sophie feeling discomfort in her stomach followed by excruciating pain until she finally voids her body of her innards and collapses on the floor.
- Voiced by: N/A
Inhuman Sophie is the fourth and last incarnation of Sophie and is found in an illusion of Joe and Ivy's dream house on the fourth floor, sitting on a couch in the smoke-filled living room of the house. Her appearance evidently continues from Fat Sophie, who comes before her in age, with her being completely naked and heavily obese.
As the name suggests, her body has been heavily mutilated, possibly from self-mutilation, to the point that she barely looks human. This is reinforced by her mask looking like it's actually attached to her face, the area around it appearing swollen, and the way she breathes makes her wounds move, as if she breathes from them.
She cannot be interacted with and does nothing except stare at Joe if approached, but does block the way to the rest of the house. Once Joe has obtained the fire axe, Sophie escapes into the cellar of an illusion of the apartment building on Helen Road, which happens to be behind the dream house.
Inhuman Sophie is killed by merciless mutilation from a chainsaw at the hands of Joe. Her death is what makes the mirror shatter, allowing Joe to enter and rescue Ivy.
|Piece By Piece|
|You settled the matter with four Sophies.|
- Young Sophie is voiced by Emily Hanley. Adult Sophie is voiced by Anairis Quinones. Fat Sophie is voiced by Remigiusz Michalski, who also voiced The Voice of Madness.
- Sophie's name in the original Downfall was Sophie Cheauvair, and she was French. The surname and her nationality were presumably removed to make her relation to Ivy much more apparent, as she exists only as a persona in Joe's mind.
- The room Young Sophie is in is seen in The Cat Lady. Interestingly, the chair she's sitting in is the same one in The Cat Lady that, to Joe's horror, contained the corpse of Ivy, which appears to be in the control of what Joe vaguely describes as "the monster."
- Sophie's smoothie recipe in Downfall contained rat poison rather than cannabis. Interestingly, she also wanted to be fatter so Steve Harris (the original name of Harrison) would like her, while in Downfall 2016 she wants to be skinnier so Harrison will like her.
- The original Downfall has a 'final-boss' Sophie hiding in the Twilight Lounge mirror, holding Ivy captive. The mirror now only holds the corpse of Ivy.
- This was due to negative feedback on the boss-fight from its clunky controls and overall shift of tone compared to the rest of the game.